This Forum is Closed
April 18, 2024, 04:57:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Hey, kids! I've just invested in a totally worthless Government Bond!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey, kids! I've just invested in a totally worthless Government Bond!  (Read 465 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:49 am »

Here's the legend from the face of the bond:

(Please note that I have here attempted to reproduce the legend of this bond with the greatest possible fidelity to the original, which means that any seeming typographical errors on my part are actually (within the extent of my ability to copy by rote) present in the original.)

One Hundred

Confederate States of America.

Loan

Authorized by the Act of Congress.  C.S.A. of August 19 . 1861

On the first day of July 1869.  The Confederate States of America

will pay to the Bearer of this Bond at the Seat of Government or such place of Deposit

as may be appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury,the sum of ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS

with Interest hereon from this date payable at the same place. semi-annually. at the rate of

Eight per Centum per Annum upon surrender of the annexed Warrants or Coupons.This debt is authorized

by an Act of Congress approved August 19, 1861, entitled “An Act to authorize the issue of Treasury

Notes and provide a War Tax for their redemption.”

In Wit.,ess whereof the Register of the Treasury in pursuance of the said Act of Congress

hath hereunto set his hand and affixed the seal of the Treasury at RICHMOND.

this 14 day of July 1862

Entered (illegible signature)                               (illegible signature)

Recorded (illegible signature)                             Register of the Treasury

One Hundred

There is room on the face of the bond for coupons beginning on 1 July 1862, just two weeks prior to this bond’s recorded.date of issue.  The earliest unclipped coupon on the bond is dated 1 July 1865, which means the bond paid interest right up until the extinction of the issuing entity (i.e., the Confederate States of America).

Whaaaaah!  HOW AM I GONNA GET MY MONEY BACK ON THS LOSER INVESTMENT?Huh???   WHAAAAAAH!
Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: