This Forum is Closed
March 28, 2024, 11:24:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

I'm Torn Over the Wisconsin Uprising

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Torn Over the Wisconsin Uprising  (Read 337 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:42:55 am »

Well, I am.

On the one hand, I pretty much support any union action, but on the other hand the power of public sector employee unions in the context of a lack of private sector employee unions (due to the de-industrialization of the US) seems to be creating a Haitian-style government employee caste, which allows our rulers to buy off a crew of operatives who can be expected to side with the oligarchy against the masses.

I'm also of two minds regarding Alex's imputation of apocalyptic significance to the Governor's decision to train the National Guard for IS duties.  Wisconsin is the state in which I was born and mostly raised, and I clearly recall Madison having been a battleground during the Vietnam War.  I recall spending a weekend as a Boy Scout at Fort Douglas, where we were treated to a display of the Wisconsin National Guard training for riot duty in Madison.  (Indeed, I recall that almost as well as I recall the blond waitress with the white, mini-skirted dress at the off-base diner where us Catholic Scouts had fish-'n'-chips on Friday evening (this being my major hormonal period).)  I still don't know if they were trying to recruit us or, seeing as many of us would enter university soon, intimidate us.  A few years later, infantry units of the National Guard were converted into Military Police units all over the country, the purpose of this conversion obviously being the intimidation of the civil populace.  I further recall my period as a student at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, regularly visiting a little shopping mall near my dorm which was obviously built to be defensible (blank stone walls facing the exterior, shopfronts limited to the interior which was, in turn, accessible only through narrow walkways which could be sealed off by massive steel gates).  But, all this was in reaction to what had already happened, with the present Governor's threat to deploy the National Guard as an anticipatory measure being novel and disturbing

Waddya tink?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:20:33 am by Bad Penny » Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: