This Forum is Closed
March 29, 2024, 03:32:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

CURE TINNITUS - by 're-booting' the brain

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CURE TINNITUS - by 're-booting' the brain  (Read 1500 times)
EvadingGrid
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:33 am »

How high-pitched music could
cure tinnitus by 're-booting' the brain

By David Derbyshire
Last updated at 8:48 AM on 13th January 2011

Scientists may have developed a cure for tinnitus, the persistent ringing in the ears that blights the lives of hundreds of thousands of Britons.

In tests, researchers were able to stop the irritating noises by stimulating a nerve in the neck while playing a high-pitched tone into the ears.

The technique – which ‘reboots’ the brain – has been successfully tested on rats. Clinical trials on humans are due to start in the next few months.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jonnie Goodboy

The Gulag Archipelago, - had 'Paradise Islands'.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:46:25 am »

I suffer mild Tinitus. Went for a 2nd test late last year where they do a response chart of your hearing function and compare it to how it was previously. I felt my hearing was better, but the chart showed some deterioration in high freq response (increased tinitus is the result) but better bottom end. (Actually increased response) over last test in ~2005)!

I have here an NHS 'Tinitus masking earpiece' (now discontinued due to poor overall results, (probably due to lack of proper use or measured comparitive results) that emits ~6Khz hiss (or white noise) into the ear from a hearing-aid like fitting.

The Theory behind this technique of cure is that Neurologists and Audiologists have discovered that the audio part of the brain is an AI machine, that can be trained to respond differently if the brain can be kidded into thinking it's getting a better high-frequency response than it actually is. The masking hiss (~6Khz) trains the brain to think it's getting a lot more mid to high-end response than the aged ear actually is doing. The AI part of the brain then adjusts the neural response accordingly, and it seems as if you hear hi-freq sound louder than before the 'masking' treatment.

As I say, this test in which I took an active part was discontinued. It sounds like it may be about trying to have a more direct effect on the AI learning centre of the audio pathway.

However, I don't wish to become a guinea-pig and end up losing my hearing in a misfortunate accident.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:29:38 pm by Two Tenners » Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
— Prov 29:2
ghostmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »

I have severe tinnitus.  Which means I have more than the ringing, hissing going on at once.  I actually have ringing hissing, roaring all at the same time.  I can't sleep without noise in the room to mask it.  I can't hear certain people on the telephone.  I can't hear people talk in crowds.  A soft voice person I can't hear all of the words they say either if they are talking to me directly.  I have actually asked certain people on the phone not to call me again cause i can't hear them.  I have asked them to have someone else call if the call is important. If it was a individual, i asked them to speak up.  I have had hearing test also, and failed miserable on high tones.   

It's very annoying.  My jobs did this. 
Report Spam   Logged
Jonnie Goodboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

I have severe tinnitus.  Which means I have more than the ringing, hissing going on at once.  I actually have ringing hissing, roaring all at the same time.  I can't sleep without noise in the room to mask it.  I can't hear certain people on the telephone.  I can't hear people talk in crowds.  A soft voice person I can't hear all of the words they say either if they are talking to me directly.  I have actually asked certain people on the phone not to call me again cause i can't hear them.  I have asked them to have someone else call if the call is important. If it was a individual, i asked them to speak up.  I have had hearing test also, and failed miserable on high tones.   

It's very annoying.  My jobs did this. 

I'm sure we all agree that severe tinitus must surely be an absolute pain-in-the-butt-end and I hope that you can push to get some kind of help from the new front that may be opening up on the tinitus battle-front.

Mine is absolutely dimminutive in comparison, and it has never kept me from my sleep, or anything else.

I'd like to ask what was your job! I guess in construction, is that so?
Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
ghostmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:40:10 am »

textile working around weaving machines.
Report Spam   Logged
Tekoa

Who told you that?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »

Look a good doctor will fix it, ask around it only takes a minute to fix, generally.
Report Spam   Logged

What to you believe and who told you that?
Jonnie Goodboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:50:54 am »

Look a good doctor will fix it, ask around it only takes a minute to fix, generally.

Hahaha. You nearly caught a few fish there. But reality of the medical world as we all know, falls rather short, even rather short sometimes, of the Hypocratic Oath. "Thou shall do no harm".

"By God Jim, I'm beginnning to think I can cure a Rainy Day"
— Bones, in an early TOS Star-Trek
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:53:00 am by Two Tenners » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: