This Forum is Closed
April 16, 2024, 11:24:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

When the economy falls - What you need to know

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When the economy falls - What you need to know  (Read 1040 times)
ghostmaster

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:47:29 am »

When the economy falls
Certain items become commodities well sought after because they can be used different ways.  such as... have healing properties, or is just simply a needed staple many did not count on needing later on.  keep this on your mind when you store items for later use.  Items that do well can be used for many things, or just are a item that is expensive to make, or could be a combination.
Don't store everything in the same area.  You never know if down the road a flooded basement, a ant infestation or some type of bug or rodent infestation could cause you to loose it all.  This is more prone to happen during trying times.  So never store everything in one spot.  Choose your items wisely.  It is better to a few items below of each, and possibly a lot of a couple items.  During trying times you want to become known to barter, but you don't want to bring the wrong attention to yourself.  In other words making outlandish demands on neighbors just because you have the only maple syrup for miles will get you no brownie points, and may even cause you to be robbed.  The idea is to barter, not cause strife. If you have 100 containers of salt, keep your stash in different areas, and NEVER tell anyone you have extra stored.  Stick to one storage area till it's empty, then move on.  Keep your barter items separate from your households.  This means one house hold could have up to five storage areas.  Some even buried in backyards, fields, etc.  If you barter, keep items you was shared separate from items you keep in the home, or have stored.  It was a known fact during the depression times people bartered certain items that later were found to be bad, full of pest, expired, etc.  You don't want to take a bag of rice from someone that could have pest, and store it in your only stored area you have containing your flour, or sugar.
Sugar
White, brown or powdered, it will never spoil because it doesn't support bacterial growth. The challenge with sugar is to keep it from hardening into hard 5 pound blocks. To keep sugar fresh, store it in an airtight container or plastic bag. If your brown sugar has hardened, you can revive it with just a minute in the microwave on low heat. You can also store brown sugar in plastic bags.  Storing one cup each in one bag is a good rule of thumb instead of large quantities of two or more cups.  You will be able to barter this commodity because after a while people will grow tired of certain items they tend to use time and time again.  So brown sugar will be a treat, but regular sugar will not be, it will be a high end commodity sought after.
Molasses
Molasses can be a commodity stored on the side for future use.  It is the staple of the item used in brown sugar.  You can stock up on regular sugar, and just stock up on molasses you can't go wrong.  People have a sweet tooth, that will never go away.  This will make a good barter ingredient.
Pure vanilla extract
If you have pure vanilla extract you also have a sought after commodity. It lasts forever, and  is more expensive than its imitation counterpart, but its shelf life certainly outweighs the extra cost. It too can be used to barter but not right away.  Keep a hold on it.  After a while you will see what a great commodity you have.  Keep that vanilla flavor at its best by sealing the bottle after each use and storing it in a cool, dark place. Because this is expensive you will be able  to sell or barter this maybe by the teaspoon.
Rice
White, wild, jasmine, Arborio and basmati rice all keep forever so there's no need to throw them out. Brown rice is the one exception because it has a higher oil content so store it in the refrigerator or freeze it to maximize its shelf life. Once you've opened a bag or box of rice, move it to an airtight container or resealable freezer bag to keep it fresh. In the beginning rice is not a good bartering product.  As time goes by it becomes one because you can cook it in any type container with just water.  People will want it because it fills a empty stomach.
Flour and Corn starch
You can thicken gravies and sauces for years with just one box/bag of corn starch because it will keep indefinitely. Store this kitchen staple in a cool, dry area and be sure to reseal it tightly after each use. Flour will become a sought after item because it is used for breads, gravies, deserts, and or fill in inert ingredient to make a meal go further.  It is also a staple item, and prices tend to rise on this item.
Honey
Whether you use it in your tea, on your toast or as an alternative sweetener, that jar of pure honey is good forever.  You can help keep it fresh by storing it in a cool area, and you can improve the quality of crystallized honey by placing the jar in warm water and stirring it until the grainy parts dissolve.
Hard liquor
Neighborhood Liquor Store, or bar been looted?   Nothing you think is left?  Distilled spirits like vodka, rum, whisky, tequila and gin don't ever spoil — even after opening. Keep the bottles tightly closed and store them in a cool area away from direct heat or sunlight.  High end content alcohol products will be sought after because of their nature to keep things sterile, clean, disinfected.  If you have any that are not opened hang onto them for medicinal purposes the higher the alcohol content the better.
Salt
The contents of your salt shaker will never spoil, regardless of whether it's basic table salt or sea salt. Simply store it in a cool, dry place and salt will keep indefinitely.  You also need to know salt will be a high end product sought after during times of depressions.  Yes it makes a good food staple.  But it also is one of the main ingredients of home made cleaning products. It also is used as a preservative. This is a high end commodity.
Maple syrup
What good are flat cakes, bread, pancakes or waffles without maple syrup? Luckily, this flavorful syrup will never spoil if you refrigerate it or freeze it. For long-term storage, seal it in an airtight plastic container and freeze it.
Distilled white vinegar

This product can be used for everything, from making marinades and salad dressings to cleaning house and doing laundry. But the best thing about distilled white vinegar is that it lasts for years. Simply close it tightly after each use and store the bottle in a cool, dark place.  This will be a good barter product simply because it is so versatile.
Other things
Toilet paper, Band-Aids of different sizes.  Even certain medications will be sought after.  Personal products also will be sought after, like razors, shaving cream female products.  Tylenol, aspirin, pepto. antibiotic creams. Bleach is another item you may want to store.  You may just want to store a years supply for one family instead of trying to barter this item.  It takes up lots of space.
Seeds is another item that will be sought after.  Non hybrid non Monsanto.  Keep in mind also a veggie that can be grown fast, and produce a lot, seeds saved easily,  literally pest  free will be the most sought after in your area.  Think locally, not markedly.  Just because there is a market for it does not mean you need to grow it.  What you will depend on the most is how easy for you to grow. Is this seed a local product from seed to market?
Try to grow tomatoes varieties from your area because most know this is a fruit and in times of need may be the only one you can find.... Can be grown inside, and outside... But also because the leaves of the tomatoes plant can be used as a pesticide.  (leaves soaked in water for days, strained, and put in spray bottles and bartered) Help to keep pest away from home, and even on your person, because the tomato plant in not harmful to humans.
Homemade Toilet bowl cleaner!
Baking soda and vinegar becomes "scrubbing bubbles".  Wet the sides of the bowl with a toilet brush. Liberally sprinkle the sides with baking soda, then splash on some vinegar. Instant foam! Scrub clean. The baking soda is also a terrific deodorizer.
Homemade Tile cleaner!
All you need is a sturdy sponge, a bowl full of white vinegar, and some salt. Soak the sponge in vinegar, sprinkle with salt, and scrub away the toughest grime. Rinse clean. You can help keep soap scum at bay between cleanings by spraying your wet tile with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water.
There are many other products to think of saving.  Some you just may want to save because they are easy too save.  Many products not even listed here will become bartering agents simply because you just happen to have the "right" item at the time.  No one can guess all the items, and some items will be more popular for certain regions only because those areas already depend on certain items being readily available.  Best way is to visit local markets instead of grocery chains.  They don't grown, and serve to the market unless there is a need for the item in your area.
One more item you may not of thought of, but you really need to consider getting now!
A wind up radio.  Preferably one that can use batteries, electricity, or wind up.  Don't get one that only gives you one option.  This will be your lifeline to the rest of the world.  Shop wisely. More than one option in case one option on the radio gets tore up.  Yes this is a expensive item, but consider it a must.  If the power goes out, and you have bad weather on the way, you must know what to expect.  It will also be your lifeline to know what is happening on a City, State,  Country level.

Authored by Ghostmaster
Link
http://www.captiveplanet.getyourgeekon.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64:when-the-economy-falls-what-you-need-to-know&catid=77:world-economy

NOTE:  Members are encouraged to add their own important information below that would benefit the readers.   
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Donnay
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die...Trying!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »

Gh0st,

Excellent info for those wanting to stock up on things that may become scarce if the dollar falls or collapses.

Over in the PPF, one of the mods felt the need to change your written (words) title, because they thought you were caving in to defeatism.  Roll Eyes  I think quite to the contrary--but there are Powers than be in all walks of life it appears.

I am a mod here, and I will not change titles that people post, I think it is rude and uncalled for, unless someone is trying to incite violence, and we are all about truth and peaceful resistance and getting prepared for hard times ahead.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:53:12 pm by Donnay » Report Spam   Logged

Religions do a useful thing: they narrow God to the limits of man. Philosophy replies by doing a necessary thing: it elevates man to the plane of God.  ~Victor Hugo

Because one doesn't like the way things are is no reason to be unjust towards God.  ~Victor Hugo
ghostmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:06:53 pm »

I don't know the reason for the change myself.  Maybe they thought with the title I had I was giving in to big Gov?  I really was not, I was using my wits, and my strengths and thinking ahead.  I don't want to be a user, or called a lazy no good for nothing if anything bad should happen.  I want to shine, and hopefully show myself as a good example for others to follow.  The best way to do that is to help as many as I can now.  Plus help myself.  I really hope our future is bright and prosperous.  All the stuff we save for hard times, will be just stuff we can use, and save a few pennys during our months ahead because we want too.  Not because we have too.  Hopefully we have many optimistic people here, instead of pessimism people.
Report Spam   Logged
Donnay
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »

I am quite optimistic...I see a sea change everyday in people!  We have to be self-reliant and self-sufficient and that is what your article is all about! 
Report Spam   Logged

Religions do a useful thing: they narrow God to the limits of man. Philosophy replies by doing a necessary thing: it elevates man to the plane of God.  ~Victor Hugo

Because one doesn't like the way things are is no reason to be unjust towards God.  ~Victor Hugo
ghostmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:24:07 pm »

When the economy falls

I believe that is what they had a problem with I believe their argument is maybe it should of been:

If the economy falls

But still...
Report Spam   Logged
Donnay
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »

Oh I like this title better!

When the bow breaks...the cradle will fall...

Just kidding... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Geolibertarian
Global Moderator

9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.ae911truth.org

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:43:43 am »

Over in the PPF, one of the mods felt the need to change your written (words) title, because they thought you were caving in to defeatism.

It wasn't me, in case anyone's wondering.

As to the question of "defeatism," I'll simply quote what I posted at PPF:

Isn't that like several thousand muscle-bound people saying in unison: "When these few dozen puny weaklings finish gang-raping us, here's what each of us must do individually to recover from the trauma of being raped."

Shouldn't we be saying if instead of "when"?

Why should we concede defeat to a relative handful of ruling-class parasites -- particularly when there are far more of "us" than there are of "them"?

Isn't that the very sort of defeatist attitude these psychopathic, mass-murdering criminals count on us having, lest we realize where the real power lies?

I'm all for investing in such things as storable food, guns, ammunition, precious metals, and so on, as an insurance policy.

But the more we allow that to become a substitute for going on the political counter-offensive, the more we fuel the very crisis from which we presume to protect ourselves by making individual preparations for what at this point is still only a possible worst case scenario.

Just say "no" to learned helplessness!

So no one misunderstands me again, it's not the mere notion that each of us -- as individuals -- should prepare for a worst case scenario that I construe as "conceding defeat," but the implication that we should proceed as though we -- as a people -- are helpless to prevent such a scenario from materializing in the first place.

Prepare as individuals for the worst, yes, but also work together as a people to (among other things) prevent the worst from ever happening.
Report Spam   Logged

"For the first years of [Ludwig von] Mises’s life in the United States...he was almost totally dependent on annual research grants from the Rockefeller Foundation.” -- Richard M. Ebeling

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=162212.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: