This Forum is Closed
March 29, 2024, 09:56:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Stallman Warns Against Cloud Computing as Google Readies to Push ChromeOS

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stallman Warns Against Cloud Computing as Google Readies to Push ChromeOS  (Read 724 times)
Optimus
Administrator

Routing out & defeating the globalist pigs

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:54:51 pm »

Stallman Continues to Warn Against Cloud Computing as Google Gets Ready to Push ChromeOS
http://cryptogon.com/?p=19305

December 14th, 2010

Via: Guardian:

Google’s new cloud computing ChromeOS looks like a plan “to push people into careless computing” by forcing them to store their data in the cloud rather than on machines directly under their control, warns Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation and creator of the operating system GNU.

Two years ago Stallman, a computing veteran who is a strong advocate of free software via his Free Software Foundation, warned that making extensive use of cloud computing was “worse than stupidity” because it meant a loss of control of data.

Now he says he is increasingly concerned about the release by Google of its ChromeOS operating system, which is based on GNU/Linux and designed to store the minimum possible data locally. Instead it relies on a data connection to link to Google’s “cloud” of servers, which are at unknown locations, to store documents and other information.

The risks include loss of legal rights to data if it is stored on a company’s machine’s rather than your own, Stallman points out: “In the US, you even lose legal rights if you store your data in a company’s machines instead of your own. The police need to present you with a search warrant to get your data from you; but if they are stored in a company’s server, the police can get it without showing you anything. They may not even have to give the company a search warrant.”

Google gave ChromeOS a “soft” launch last week, showing off aspects of the software and providing developers and some journalists with Cr-48 laptops set up to run it, while saying that it won’t be widely available until mid-2011.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jonnie Goodboy

The Gulag Archipelago, - had 'Paradise Islands'.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:43 pm »

IMIHO, (In my Imaginary Humble Ovnoid)! I think you'd need as a prerequisite before you go for 'Cloud Computing': - a good measure of good-old fashioned stupidity ...

I mean it's like trusting 'The Project' to look after all your private data ...
Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
— Prov 29:2
EvadingGrid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »

I agree with Stallman.

Ever since I first heard the idea, I have been instantly opposed to handing over my precious data, and the control of that data to some anonymous 3rd party.

The people I've seen it appeal too, are all computer proffessionals, that are too incomptenet and slaves to windows, **** and games to figure out they don't need some slot on a shared box inside some cloud.

Its just renting a slice of shared hosting on somebodys server farm, if you strip away the hype.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: