This Forum is Closed
March 28, 2024, 05:55:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Did the State Dept. release the cables to Wikileaks on purpose to usher in IPv6?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the State Dept. release the cables to Wikileaks on purpose to usher in IPv6?  (Read 1745 times)
birther truther tenther

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:34 pm »

http://www.publicsectorinstitute.net/ELetters/EGovernment/v5n5/IPv6Articles.lsp

May 18, 2007 • Volume 5 • Number 5

FEDERAL EXECUTIVE FORUM SPECIAL ISSUE ON
IPv6

Next Generation’s Four Challenges

IPv6 faces formidable, but not insurmountable challenges.

“Culturally people know what IPv6 is today,” states Education's Peter Tseronis.

“I’m known as the IPv6 guy at Education. I get the forwarded emails or what have you and the phone calls. People at least are talking about it. A year ago it was, what? And you say Internet is really known as IPv4 and people say what? Now I get it, IPv6 is the next generation.” For Tseronis, the Challenge 1 is culture. Change never comes easy, but he sees more IPv6 acceptance. 

Challenge 2 is Money. Take a cue from OMB. It’s the opportunity to look at your refresh dollars and say ‘hey look at your network does it need to be refreshed? Will you refresh it?’

Tseronis says put that procedure, that process in place. “You still may not get the money or the funding but at least you can build a business case for getting investments to upgrade your network and by the way you might as well buy a procure an IPv6 compliant product.”

Challenge 3 is Policy.

“We are in the midst of defining some acquisition policies, testing policies, accreditation policies. We are working with the vendor community on issues that have to be ironed out before we go and buy a product and say hey I want this device and I want to make sure it’s an IPv6 compliant router, or switch, or firewall,” Tseronis explains.

“If I’m a customer in the federal government, I’m going to Cisco saying ‘hey I want an IPv6 product.’ Well I want them to say OK on this approved product list or what have you, these are the products that you can purchase. So just to say I want everything IPv6 compliant or the application of the hardware that exists today. We are still defining the regulations around creating something that can be a pick and choose type of scenario.”

Challenge 4 is “Thinking Out of the Box”.

And lastly it’s really the thinking out of the box challenge.

“It really comes down to you have to think outside of what you want to be doing with this in the future and how you want to be doing it and make the assumption that IPv6 infrastructure is going to enable that. We didn’t think about that when the internet first popped up, we just thought it was cool to surf the net. Now we are saying there’s going to be a new infrastructure you will be able to do more things like auto configuration, recovery, etc., etc. But people are a little bit hesitant because people are well what we have today isn’t broken, so don’t try to fix it.”

The funding issue isn’t lost on State Department’s Charlie Wisecarver.

“Clearly for the Department of State it’s a funding question.” There are competing requirements out there. To become IPv6 compliant by June 2008 will require a significant amount of funding and State’s widespread organization also presents some challenges that will be alleviated as COTS products become more available.

“Right now to try to sell IPv6 to senior executives in the State Department, it’s not sexy, there’s nothing really there for them to grab on to. They’d much rather fund legacy programs or other types of activities. I think that the good news is, as more and more COTS products become available, that’s going to make it a much easier sell. Folks will begin to realize how important it is to transition to IPv6.”

For Commerce’s John McManus, selling what’s important over the the long haul is the key.

“I think the big challenge, this is a day to day challenge, is to get everyone to understand that we need to be thinking about the long term,” said McManus.

“We shouldn’t be selling IPv6. We need to be selling the capabilities that IPv6 brings to our mission. That really is a very large challenge because when you go in to talk to senior leadership, when we did the network evolution at NASA, as we are doing our network evolution at the Department of Commerce, I don’t mention IPv6 other than to say our gear will be compliant with the mandate. I talked about how is this going to enable the Department of Commerce, NOAH, the National Weather Service, to provide better services to the citizens or to provide better capability to our internal users.”

McManus says there can’t be too much focus on the protocol itself; and that the protocol is bringing new capability. The messaging has to really be focused on enabling new capabilities that allow us to do new things for the citizens and new things for our users.

For GSA’s Fred Schobert, the major challenges are in terms of training and service support. “There will be transition challenges for our agency customers we are going to have to address and work with them on; and then basic overall training. One of the things we need to do also is become more crystal clear I believe at the user level on what the benefits for IPv6 are. But I have to think any investments made will be based on their understanding of what the ultimate benefits will be. So I think as a group and as an industry government team we need to become clearer on exactly what are the benefits for making that investment.”

Cisco’s Dave West is encouraged that the 2008 deadline has gotten government moving.

“I think people looked at the deadline and thought that everything needed to be IPv6 capable by the deadline, that government agencies would have transitioned by the deadline, when in reality, all it did was energize the government to start planning and preparing for this transition,” said West.

West also notes there is still a lot of work to do from the product perspective, from a solution perspective and education within the government

“There’s absolutely work that needs to be done in terms of preparing government agencies and entities for this transition; preparation needs to be done to make sure that any move towards any new protocol doesn’t impact day to day operations.”

West sees a lot of movement to get the job done over the next 24 to 36 months.

“I think as government looks and agencies look as what services they want to provide, what services they want to enable for IPv6 they may take different approaches on how they enable those services. How they take advantage of what that protocol offers.”

Education is also top of mind for Command Information’s Tom Patterson.

“The more people that understand their day job, the more that they understand the new capabilities that are in the Internet that they already have, the less frightened they are of the change and some of the key reasons that were bandied about last year are really falling by the wayside,” states Patterson.

According to Patterson there’s no v6 to buy so you don’t have to go out and get a line item for a big v6 thing. You are already buying routers, you are already buying computers, you are already buying the phones, you just need to specify as GSA Networx did, that when you buy these services they should support the new versions of the internet. So that has really taken that big fear away. Education then unlocks the art of the possible.

“In reality if you talk to them, if you educate about what they do in their language, and that’s what our whole series of training exercises do, is talk about supply chains, talk about telework, talk about cars and mobile and all these things that the government lives off of, that run our government. If you talk about how it affects that, then they tend to pick it right up.”
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: