This Forum is Closed
March 28, 2024, 11:37:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

No Repealor Amendment: Repeal the 17th Amendment!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Repealor Amendment: Repeal the 17th Amendment!  (Read 328 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:41:03 pm »

The idea of a new amendment to allow the legislatures of the several states to repeal Federal legislation sounds like an good idea, but the truth is that the original Constitution had just such a safeguard in the original structure of Congress, which was unfortunately altered by the passage of the 17th Amendment.

The Congress of the United States of America famously consists of an upper house and a lower house.  In the original scheme, the lower house (House of Representatives) was to be directly elected by the people, whereas the upper house (House of the Senate) was to have been elected by the legislatures of the several states, which gives the several states (whose creature the Federal state is) a degree of control over Federal legislation similar to that contemplated by the sponsor of the new amendment.

Therefor I suggest repealing the 17th Amendment rather than passing an amendment which is essentially surplusage given the language of Article I as it originally stood.

Edit:  The 17th Amendment allows the states to allow its senators to be elected by direct popular vote, and all states have since gone that way.

Second Edit:  The Repealor Amendment essentially seeks to create a "Congress of the ssveral States", which is PRECISELY the purpose of Article I, Section 3.  Seeing as the authors of the Repealor Amendment must certainly view the original Framers as being possessed of Constitutional knowledge superior to their own, I'm certain they'll agree with me on this point.  (Or not!)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:32:14 am by Bad Penny » Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: