This Forum is Closed
March 18, 2024, 10:16:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

WHERE HAS SCROOGLE ANONYMOUS SEARCH-ENGINE GONE? HAVE DHS, FBI & US.GOV DONE IT?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHERE HAS SCROOGLE ANONYMOUS SEARCH-ENGINE GONE? HAVE DHS, FBI & US.GOV DONE IT?  (Read 1072 times)
Jonnie Goodboy

The Gulag Archipelago, - had 'Paradise Islands'.

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:30 am »

SCROOGLE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT JONNIE GOODBOY'S.

THE WAR OF THE FREE INTERNET TERMINATOR HAS BEGUN?

JUST DON'T USE GOOGLE FOLKS. THEY WILL TRACK AND RECORD EVERYTHING YOU DO, FOR CORRUPT SHADOW GOVERNANCE. IT'S THEIR JOB. YOU GOTTA DO YOUR JOB OR YOU LOSE IT.
Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
— Prov 29:2

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jonnie Goodboy

The Gulag Archipelago, - had 'Paradise Islands'.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:42 am »

SCROOGLE TAKEN OFF LINE FOR GOOD. GOOD-BYE, SO-LONG, AU-REVOIR, AUFIEDERSEIN, ADIOS, ASTA- ....

http://www.betabeat.com/2012/02/21/scroogle-privacy-first-search-engine-shuts-down-for-good/

So long Scroogle.

Scroogle, the search engine operated by privacy militant and self-appointed Wikipedia watchdog Daniel Brandt, has folded for real. After enduring DDOS attacks “around the clock” that sent a flood of unsustainable traffic to his servers, Mr. Brandt took down the search engine along with his other four domains, namebase.org, google-watch.org, cia-on-campus.org, and book-grab.com. His theory is that he was being attacked by hackers with a personal vendetta.

“These four domains had also been on the web for a long time — NameBase first went online in 1997, and before that had been available on telnet since 1995. I spent 27 years developing NameBase,” he said in an email, and referred to the Wikipedia page.

“I no longer have any domains online,” Mr. Brandt wrote. “I also took all my domains out of DNS because I want to signal to the criminal element that I have no more servers to trash. This hopefully will ward off further attacks on my previous providers.”

Scroogle was a basic search engine that takes users to their Google results through a circuitous route that masks much of the data Google normally harvests. Google tolerated the site, which had its own nonprofit, and a Google engineer even helped Mr. Brandt get Scroogle whitelisted a few times. But recently, Google started punishing Scroogle severely for queries, choking off access for 90 minutes at a time. Google says it was not targeting Scroogle but that the search engine may have tripped a spam control mechanism.

“Scroogle.org is gone forever,” Mr. Brandt wrote. “Even if all my DDoS problems had never started in December, Scroogle was already getting squeezed from Google’s throttling, and was already dying. It might have lasted another six months if I hadn’t lost seven servers from DDoS, but that’s about all.”

The search engine had some die-hard fans. But if privacy friendliness is what you seek, there are other options.

Scroogle.com, formerly a **** site and the cause of some embarrassing NSFW confusion, has also gone off the air.

Adrianne Jeffries is a reporter for Betabeat and The New York Observer. GPG public key: 222D2F697E12899D. Follow Adrianne on Twitter or via RSS. ajeffries@observer.com

See also

Scroogle May Have Been a Victim of Hackers, Not Google

Did Google Just Disable Privacy-Friendly Scroogle? [UPDATED]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:04:28 am by Jonnie Goodboy » Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
— Prov 29:2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: