This Forum is Closed
March 29, 2024, 08:42:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Funny Piece for Canada Day

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny Piece for Canada Day  (Read 449 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »

Actually, it's not strictly true that these snacks are available only in Canada, as my own state of Rhode Island has a large French-Canadian population, and you can get many of these items here.

See it at:

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/o-canada-week-snack-canadian-054800192.html

O, Canada! Week: How to Snack Like a Canadian

Food Network – Wed, 29 Jun, 2011 1:48 AM EDT

One of the best things about living and eating in Canada is how easy it is to find unique snacks from around the world. From bubble tea, to decadent European pastries, you can easily find international delights at ethnic grocery stores and bakeries scattered throughout any major Canadian city.

But, have you ever stopped to think about what Canadian snacks a tourist might find unique? If there were a Canadian grocery store in Europe or Asia, what would you find in their snack aisles?

There are many snacks that we take for granted that our friends and family overseas, or even just across the border, might view as distinctly Canadian. A few of my favourites include:

Smarties
Whenever I ask my American cousins if they eat the red ones last, they stare at me in bewilderment. That’s how I discovered that these colourful candies are more than just the product of a memorable marketing campaign, they’re Canada’s answer to the M&M.

Caramilk
The secret to how they get the caramel into the Caramilk bar is a national treasure worthy of protection behind lock and key.

Ketchup Chips
These sweet, yet savoury potato chips are as red as the maple leaf in our flag. Every Canadian knows the sweet pleasure of sucking their red fingers after finishing off a bag of these irresistible chips.

Poutine
Cheese curds, french fries, and gravy--perhaps French Canada’s greatest contribution to our proud culinary heritage.

Swiss Chalet Sauce
Other countries around the world roast their chickens, but they don’t have the salty goodness of Swiss Chalet Sauce to dip their chicken in?

Laura Secord Chocolates
The Americans have their Hershey Bars and the Swiss have their Lindt chocolates, but no one else has the smooth, sweet and luxurious chocolates from Laura Secord.

Anything with Maple In It
From maple syrup to maple candies and cookies, Canada is the maple capital of the world... and I love it all.

Tim Horton’s Coffee
Although Tim Horton’s coffee shops have started sprouting up in a few American cities near the border, everyone knows that the distinct aroma of a double-double coffee was first brewed within Canuck borders.

So the next time you’re reaching for an impulse candy bar purchase by the cash register, or looking for a snack at your local mall’s food court, do your patriotic duty and snack like a Canadian!

Glenn Calderon is a Toronto-based writer and self-proclaimed "bachelor foodie." He enjoys trying new restaurants and writing about it. Currently, he is attempting to teach himself how to cook but always has a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case.
Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: