This Forum is Closed
March 28, 2024, 03:28:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Are UK medics suspicious of UEA and US Geriatrics Soc. Codeine — Dementia links?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are UK medics suspicious of UEA and US Geriatrics Soc. Codeine — Dementia links?  (Read 1253 times)
Jonnie Goodboy

The Gulag Archipelago, - had 'Paradise Islands'.

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:39:18 am »

Warning over combining common medicines for elderly
By James Gallagher
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13880553
 24 June 2011

I got up at 6 am to visit my Doctor and talk about the issues surrounding Codeine (as in Cocodamol - common heavy duty pain-killer) Prescriptive drugs.

He was helpful in clearing up that UK doctors do not consider Codeine (classified by UEA - of climate-gate emails scandal) as an "anticholinergic". To be thus classified it has to be considered by the profession as a having a major effect on long-term essential brain chemistry changes.

Primarily the issue seems to be around older people »65yrs who are prescribed large amounts of combinations of the listed drugs, and the alleged effect these drugs have in a reduction of acetylcholine, an essential neuro-transmitter in the brain, a lack of which can bring on serious brain degeneration, loss of essential sympathetic and parasympathetic and motor functions, linked with these 'motor' brain functions.

Such pain-killers are designated in categories such as 1) weak — paracetamol 2) mild — codeine 3) stronger — di-hydrocodeine and morphine. I wonder how much of any misunderstanding of the 'statistical coincidence' rather than any proven association between low-dose codeine products and brain deterioration is a bit of a scare story. Remember, 'No news is Good-News' in the world of the Media.

I have personally taken thousands of Codeine tablets since I broke my leg in 2003 and developed chronic neck arthritis in 1992 after bathing in infected sea-water ...

(LISTEN - My report on BBC radio two recently)
Right Click » Save As: *._ mp3 (350kb)

... and I am ofcourse concerned of the long-term cumulative effects of low-dose codeine tablets that I consider essential for acute pain relief.

I later met my old friend Jock who in a mobility scooter told me he is on 150mg a day of morphine. He was convinced he's only got a few years left, but he's coherent and still able to talk sense, so maybe this data needs further consideration rather than a panic reaction.

We have enough to be panicked about and I'd like a more cautious debate instead of listening to the People at the University of East Anglia who may even be trying to regain credibility via the proxy of cloaked 'social-responsibility' after the Climate-Gate scandal associated with that 'seat of learing'.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:51:45 am by Two Tenners » Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
— Prov 29:2

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jonnie Goodboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:20:29 am »

... ... Anyone taking mild prescriptive anti-depressants such as Citalopram can be at this point assured that they are not at risk since this category of drugs are 'serotonics', as the medical professionals know them. They work on Cerebral Serotonin levels only, which affect primarily mood.

'Serotonics' are not included in the UEA/US Geriatrics Society 'Study', which as I said is not exhaustive.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:22:59 am by Two Tenners » Report Spam   Logged

"When the righteous become many, the people rejoice; but when anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh".
Jonnie Goodboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:27:32 pm »

... Haha, of course I was wrong! Codeine is used widely in Prisons where sufferers of chronic pain reside in some numbers but the thing to do is move away from Codeine Use.

If you're going to ask for Prescribed medicines, for chronic or acute pain or neuropathies, this site is a good starting place, and once you've got your ideas sorted then go see your doctor and talk it through.

They're more accomodating to discussion, sometimes, if the patient has prepared in advance and done some of his/her own research.

Report Spam   Logged

Jonnie Goodboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

http://www.saga.co.uk/health/news/risks-of-drug-side-effects.asp

THE FULL REPORT ON THIS 'Anti-Cholinergic Drugs' Side-FX issue.
— From SAGA online.

Risks of drug side effects

News from recent research reveals that commonly-used drugs can have serious, previously unknown side-effects. Lesley Dobson reports

It’s well known that drugs often have side effects. Now new research from a study led by the University of East Anglia, has found evidence that many commonly prescribed drugs can have severe effects on our health. The medications investigated appear to make it more likely that older people taking them may have trouble thinking clearly and understanding (brain dysfunction or cognitive impairment). These drugs also appear to increase their risk of death.

This is the first systematic study into the long-term health effects of ‘anticholinergic activity’. This is a known possible side effect of many drugs, both over the counter and prescription. What happens is that the drug blocks a key neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. In simpler terms the drug prevents messages passing from one nerve cell to another.

The study, which is part of the Medical Research Council’s Cognitive Function and Ageing Studies (CFAS) looked at the medication records of over 13,000 people, using a tool that finds and grades the levels of blockade. The results showed that the greater the blockade caused by the drug, the higher the level of brain dysfunction, and the greater the risk of death.

About fifty per cent of the people in the study were taking drugs that have potentially anticholinergic activity or AntiCholinergic Burden (ACB). The study ranked each drug according to the strength of its anticholergenic activity. Those that had no effect ranked 0, then 1 for mild effect, 2 for moderate effect and 3 for severe effect. The drugs in this latter group included anti-depressants, such as Amitriptyline, Imapramine and Clomipramine, tranquilisers such as Chlorpromazine, and antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine. Other drugs which have an anticholinergic effect are painkillers such as Codeine, Beclometasone taken for asthma, and Timolol eyedrops, taken for glaucoma.

"This is the first large scale study into the long-term impact of medicines which block acetylcholine – a common brain neurotransmitter – on humans and our results show a potentially serious effect on mortality." said Lead author Dr Chris Fox, clinical senior lecturer at Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia.

"Clinicians should conduct regular reviews of the medication taken by their older patients, both prescribed and over the counter, and wherever possible avoid prescribing multiple drugs with anticholinergic effects."

"Further research must now be undertaken to understand possible reasons for this link and, in particular, whether and how the anticholinergic drugs might cause the increased mortality. In the meantime I strongly advise patients with any concerns to continue taking their medicines until they have consulted their family doctor or their pharmacist."

Some of the main findings of the study were:
Twenty percent of participants taking drugs with a total ACB of four or more had died by the end of the two-year study, compared with seven percent of those taking no anticholinergic drugs.
For every additional ACB point scored, the odds of dying increased by 26 percent.
Participants taking drugs with a combined ACB of five or more scored more than four percent lower in a cognitive function test than those not on anticholinergic drugs.

Older people tend to be more at risk of these serious side-effects because their brain protection systems may not work efficiently. This can allow drugs to cross into the brain through the bloodstream, when they wouldn’t normally be able to. How can you tell if you or someone close to you is having anticholinergic side effects caused by their medication? Symptoms to watch out for include dizziness, dry mouth, blurred vision, trouble passing water, constipation, and being muddled or sleepy.

"It is very important that we have a clear picture of the side effects of drugs commonly taken by older people with cognitive impairment and other conditions," said Dr Susanne Sorensen, head of research at the Alzheimer’s Society. "This robust study provides valuable findings, and must be taken seriously. However it is vital that people do not panic or stop taking their medication without consulting their GP."

The scientists at UEA worked with colleagues at University of Cambridge, Indiana University and National Health Service clinicians. The project was funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the US National Institute on Ageing.

The study is published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

First published June 24, 2011

But who cares, I have terrible Neuropathy and Chronic Neck Arthritis all caught from Bathing in infected Sea-water and Eating Inorganics, I suspect a little too.
Take Risks, Trust your Mad Body and Brain to figure it out. Believe in NEURO-GENESIS, now proven, until ten-years ago denied.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:19:18 pm by Two Tenners » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: