This Forum is Closed
March 29, 2024, 08:15:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Final Statement re: "Freedom Riders": Democracy vs. Republic

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Statement re: "Freedom Riders": Democracy vs. Republic  (Read 404 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:35:13 am »

One thing that really stands out in the "Freedom Riders" documentary is the extent to which it bears out statements by Alex Jones and the Rev, Lindsay Williams and many others concerning the distinction between a democracy and a republic.  I recall Rev. Williams saying "Don't give me a democracy.  I won't take it!"

The Constitution of the United States of America (Article IV, Section 4) guarantees to each several State a republican form of government.  The form of government which existed in the Deep South was actually a form of crisis democracy, closely related to totalitarian dictatorship (though not identical: I refer to the form of government prevailing in the Deep South in 1961 as an "Elite-Engendered Plebeian Orthodoxy", in which the rebellious urges of a portion of the lower classes are demagogically enlisted into the service of the elite, enabling the select portion within the rebellious portion of the lower classes to pound out their frustration with the hardships of their lives upon their arbitrarily selected fellow lower class citizen-victims.in furtherance of the ends of the elite.  In the specific case of the Deep South in the US, lower-class whites were made to feel they were a part of the system on account of their racial commonality with the elite, with the blacks unwillingly serving as the common enemy of white elite and plebeian alike.  The great enthusiasm for violent repression against blacks shown by the lower-class whites is, thus, to be interpreted as denial of the fact of their status, in common with the blacks, as oppressed people.

By use of the instrument of mob-rule democracy in a cynical, demagogic manner, the elites of the states of the US Deep South attacked, not only the republic, but the rule of law itself.

The amazing thing is, that, despite opposition to this state of affairs from most of the country, the federal government tolerated it, largely due to the status of the Democratic Party as the party of Northern liberals and Southern Planters alike: no Democrat was willing to speak up, as the "Dixiecrats" (as the southern Democrats were known) had power sufficient to deny access to national political office to any who was less than tolerant of the "Southern Way of Life" (i.e., segregation).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:40:22 am by Bad Penny » Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: