This Forum is Closed
March 28, 2024, 04:16:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

"Freedom Riders": My Analysis

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Freedom Riders": My Analysis  (Read 610 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:57:58 am »

I told you I wouldn't just watch "Freedom Riders", but that I would study it.  Well, having just watched it twice, here's my analysis, not intended as Monday-morning quarterbacking, but as an attempt to gain benefit from their experience.

My first major criticism concerns the naivete of the original group of freedom riders organized under CORE.  CORE (disclaimer: I've worked with CORE in the past, would happily work with CORE in the future, and have met Roy Innes, who is something of a hero of mine) was founded by northern blacks and whites with no serious understanding of conditions in the south, and it wouldn't have taken much to have made a phone call and given a plane ticket to one or two local civil rights leaders in Mississippi and Alabama to get some realistic knowledge of conditions on the ground.  (In fact, one of the biggest complaints of native southern civil rights organizations is the extent to which their knowledge and connections were ignored and trampled under by well-meaning, albeit ignorant, northerners.)  Note that I'm not blaming CORE, who were acting on the basis of the limited knowledge they had at the time, but, despite my enthusiasm for amateur self-organization, they were a bit TOO amateurish.

The riding of the buses from station to station has a major moral complication in that it exposed uninvolved fellow-passengers to mob violence (once again, CORE didn't foresee mob violence en route, due to their lack of preparation).  It also created an obvious tactical hazard, greatly increasing the vulnerability of the Riders (and their uninvolved fellow-passengers) on the highway, but also granting the enforcers of NWO-eugenics-inspired tyranny knowledge of when and where their next action would be, while leading the Riders themselves into situations from which they could not escape, if necessary.  It may have been a better tactic to arrive at the stations via their own transportation to conduct sit-ins.

They also stepped into something of a political trap, not realizing (they COULDN'T have realized it, as the knowledge wasn't widely available at the time) that the whole situation was yet another of those cooked setups in which, no matter which side you support, you wind up advancing the banksters' agenda.  Laws that deprive citizens of access to public facilities (including facilities owned by corporations, which are created by the law) or which compel private enterprises to limit their clientele according to criteria not otherwise supported by law (such as the operation of underage drinking laws with respect to laws regulating liquor stores) and not otherwise justifiable by rational criteria (such as separate men's and women's rooms, dictated by non-superficial anatomical differences between the citizens so segregated) clearly constitute tyrannical interference by the state into private affairs.  In the context of blacks in the southern US, they also constitute "badges and incidences of slavery", specifically outlawed by the privileges and immunities clause of the XIV Amendment.  At the same time, erosion of state sovereignty in the face of Federal power also constitutes the creation of a tool of tyranny, and is self-evidently dangerous.

Further, some of the statements of some of the later Freedom Riders seems to indicate a lack of understanding on their part of the fact that they were combating legally imposed segregation as an aspect of tyranny.  Specifically, they seem to speak of the abolition of legally imposed segregation as legally imposed integration, which also constitutes tyranny.  Certainly, private businesses not located upon public premises have the right to refuse service on any grounds; there is, after all, a built-in fine for doing so in the form of lost business.  In the context of non-segregated public facilities, such discrimination constitutes, not a badge or incidence of slavery, but, rather, a badge and incidence of the owner's idiocy.

Finally, the best thing about the movement was it's exposure of the extent to which people are prepared to endure tyranny so long as they think they have a stake in the society (see the classical organizational behavior theory regarding the role of the "reject" in maintaining group cohesion) that abuses and exploits them.  The whole idea behind the southern racial caste system was (besides cheap black labor) the incorporation of the resentments built up within cheap white labor into the service of those who exploited poor black man and poor white man alike.  It's truly amazing to me that a persistent violent felon like "Bull" Connors could have been accepted by white Birminghamians as their defender, rather than incarcerated as a menace.  The game he played of winning public approval for his criminal conduct by choosing unpopular victims is the same as that played by some serial killers who limit their victims to prostitutes, convincing themselves that they're performing a public service.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:57:13 am by Bad Penny » Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: