This Forum is Closed
March 28, 2024, 05:29:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GGF now has a permanent home: http://forum.globalgulag.com

Home Help Search Links Staff List Login Register  

Political Correctness in National Geographic Channel's "Civil Warriors"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Political Correctness in National Geographic Channel's "Civil Warriors"  (Read 702 times)
Bad Penny

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2011, 01:41:24 am »

I could hardly believe my eyes and ears when the "Civil Warriors" show started guilt-tripping the 54th Massachusetts descendant over the burning of the white peoples' houses in the Sea Islands, which was a matter of absolute military necessity.  The Sea Island landings were purposed with the primary objective of freeing slaves and establishing the Freedmen's Bureau in South Carolina for the purpose of enabling survey teams to conduct demographic and cultural study of a representative slave population in their instant condition, in order to assist policymakers in determining how best to absorb our four million new citizens into our society.  The newly freed slaves would never have cooperated with the survey teams if they thought the soldiers were going to go away and let their former owners reclaim them, so burning their houses was the only way to convince the freed population that their masters weren't coming back and that they truly were permanently free.  If they hadn't done that, the whole operational objective would have been frustrated.

All in all, it was an excellent program but for that side-trip into ridiculous political correctness.
Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bad Penny

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:36:07 am »

Ooops!  Made a mistook!

The Freedmens' Bureau wasn't actually established until after the war had ended.  But we can clearly see its inspiration and historical inception in the civilian activities adjoining the Sea Islands operation.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:31:12 am by Bad Penny » Report Spam   Logged

Are you taking over?
Or are you taking orders?
I ain't going backwards!
We're going only forwards!

The Clash, White Riot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: